The Nigerian Army has claimed responsibility for the bombing of Tudun Biriin in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State during Maulud Nabiy celebration.
Over 30 people were reportedly killed when the village was bombed on Sunday night, with many others reportedly injured.
Samuel Aruwan, Overseeing Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Kaduna State, in a statement during a security meeting, said the army owned up to the bombing.
He said the Kaduna State Government received briefings on Sunday night’s attack which left several citizens dead and others injured.
Aruwan said in a meeting presided over by the Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Sabuwa Balarabe, which had in attendance heads of security agencies, religious and traditional leaders, the Nigerian Army explained the circumstances which led to the unfortunate and unintended attack.
“The General Officer Commanding One Division Nigerian Army, Major VU Okoro explained that the Nigerian Army was on a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community.
“The Deputy Governor at the end of the closed door meeting, conveyed the condolences of the Government and People of Kaduna State to the families that lost their loved ones, and prayed for the repose of the victims’ souls,” he said.
Aruwan stated that as of the time of this update, search-and-rescue efforts were still ongoing, as dozens of injured victims had been evacuated to Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital by the government.
“Heads of security agencies who attended the meeting include the Commissioner of Police, MY Garba, and Director of the Department of State Services (DSS) Abdul Eneche.
“The Chairman of the Kaduna State Chapter of Jam’atu Nasril Islam (JNI) Professor Shafi’u Abdullahi, led other religious leaders. Also present at meeting was the District of Rigasa, Alhaji Aminu Idris in whose domain the incident occurred,” he said.