A gunman in Anambra State has confessed to killing officers of the Nigeria Police Force, Naija News reports.
The suspect popularly known in the Nnewi South local government area of the state as ’50’ identified himself as one of the ‘unknown gunmen’ terrorizing the region, noting that he had only killed two police personnel since he joined the gang.
The criminal whose real name is yet to be made public said he has so far killed four persons, including two police officers and two civilians since he joined the gang.
Naija News understands that 50 was nabbed inside a forest at Ukpor in Nnewi South LGA along with other members of his gang by security operatives.
The security operatives had on Friday carried out a raid on the camp and arrested some of the criminals destroying their camp.
Items recovered during the raid according to reports include arms and ammunition, police and military uniforms, a coffin containing charms and various kinds of drugs.
50 explained further that although many people had been killed inside the camp, including those whose relations already paid a ransom, he had not killed more than four people.
He stressed that the last person he killed before their camp was destroyed was at the instance of their leader who ordered him to kill the man because he was a saboteur.
According to him, their leader, Ezemuo, now at large, was doing most of the killings, along with the late Double Lion who was recently killed at Ihiala.
He said: “Some of the people we killed were because they were accused of monitoring us and acting as informants. The two policemen I killed were at Ozubulu.
“Our commander, Ezemuo, is from Imo State and has run away, while Virus who is the second in command has escaped to Lagos and his house at Ozubulu burnt down”.
As we head towards the 2023 general elections, people are heating up the polity with lots of political rhetoric’s, comments, opinions, attacks and defense. Of course it is a good sign that the electorate are partakers in the political process unlike other electioneering period.
However, having accused the supporters of the presidential candidate of Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, the ‘Obedient’ of threatening his life, former aide to former president Goodluck Jonathan, Pastor Reno Omokri, Sunday said that the former governor of Anambra state is an excellent candidate for 2023 presidential election.
Reno stated this via his verified Twitter handle. According to him Obi is an excellent candidate but the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP’s candidate, Atiku Abubakar is better.
He urged people to support whoever they want and still respect each other.
His words: “I love Obidients, because they love #RenosNuggets. But I am voting for Atiku Abubakar. It does not mean Peter Obi is not an excellent candidate. He is.
“Just that Atiku is a better candidate in my opinion. We can all support who we want and still respect each other.”
Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo had in an interview with ChannelsTv said that Obi is more experienced in governance than the former Vice President Atiku.
He said Mr Peter Obi is “ahead of him (Mr Atiku) in terms of capacity to make decisions. So how are we going to hand the country to somebody who has never held a position—who has never shown capacity where he makes the final call. Atiku Abubakar is not tested, he is not trusted. He has never held such a position, even Obi is ahead of him.
“The major rival we have today has never held an executive position where he makes the final call in government. So, we cannot second guess—Atiku Abubakar has never held an executive position where he made the final call; he was the vice president, he was not the chief executive, he was never governor, he was never anything. Even Peter Obi is ahead of Atiku Abubakar.”
Is Peter Obi getting more support even from the opposition than other candidates?
Big Brother Naija, BBNaija housemate, Cyph has been evicted from the reality TV show.
Cyph’s eviction is coming immediately after 24-years-old beauty entrepreneur from Ondo state was also shown the way out of the show during the Sunday Live Eviction show.
Cyph a 27-year-old, university graduate from Imo State is an art, music and tech lover.
Meanwhile, the host of the show, Ebuka Obi-Uchendu said Christy O couldn’t honour a post-eviction interview session on the stage.
“Christy O can’t do the interview tonight. She’s not in the right frame of mind right now” Ebuka said.
Earlier in the week Cyph and Christy O were nominated alongside fellow level 2 housemates Khalid, Amaka and Phyna by Head of House, Hermes.
Christy O and Cyph join Beauty who was disqualified earlier in the day as the first set of housemates to leave the show.
In his exit interview, Cyph reminisced on his romantic ties with level one’s Doyin and intimated Ebuka on his next career steps while Christy O expressed her inability to conduct on stage interviews.
Parents, on the platform of National Parents Teachers Association of Nigeria, NAPTAN, have said they can only beg members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, to call off their strike if government considers the reports of the various committees set up to look into the matter and come out with its decisions.
The body stated that it expects the Federal Government to come out publicly with its offers for it to know how to intervene and mediate between the two sides.
NAPTAN spoke through its National President, Alhaji Haruna Danjuma, in a chat with Vanguard on Sunday.
The association was reacting to an interview where the Minister of State for Labour, Mr Festus Keyamo(SAN) asked Nigerians, especially parents, to beg members of ASUU to return to their duty posts.
Keyamo also said the government would not go borrowing to meet the demands of the union.
“Let the Federal Government consider all the reports of the various committees it set up to negotiate with ASUU.
“There was a committee led by the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, among numerous committees.
“There has never been a time when parents are involved in the negotiation.
“We don’t want a situation where somebody will pitch us against ASUU or any group.
“The negotiation should involve parents, NANS, ASUU and government team.
“What the government should do is consider the reports of those committees and look at areas they can afford or work on and present same to ASUU.
“If whatever they can afford is unacceptable to the unions, then parents and others can come in to intervene,” Danjuma said.
Also speaking in a chat, the National President of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, said it is subtle blackmail for anybody to insinuate that the union is pushing the government to borrow.
He advised that the government should get its priorities right to solve the impasse and do the needful.
“We are not asking the government to go borrowing. But since the Minister is a Nigerian, he should know what our demands are.
“Our demands include that they implement the Memorandum of Action signed in 202 with us.
“The document says government will release the first tranche of the Revitalisation Fund, pay Earned Academic Allowance, stop proliferation of universities, renegotiate the 2009 agreement among others.
“They have set up a committee to renegotiate the 2009 Agreement and they are yet to come up with anything from the report of the committee they set up.
“I wonder why some people behave as if they are living in another world entirely. Is it because they are occupying public offices that they seem to exist in another planet?” he wondered.
ASUU has been on strike since February 14 and recently extended it by another four weeks.
The 2023 presidential candidate f the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi has commended the drive of Nigerian youths in ‘taking back’ the country.
Obi in a statement on Sunday appreciated all his loyalists and supporters across the nation, assuring that the labour will not be in vain.
Naija News reports the presidential candidate stated this while reacting to the one-million-man march recently organized by his supporters in Nasarawa State.
He described the march as a great step in “taking back our country.”
Taking to the micro-blogging site, Twitter, Obi wrote in a personally signed statement: “I am sincerely encouraged by the unwavering commitment of Nigerian youths to the OBIdient movement, aimed at rescuing the nation from bad governance.
The recent 1 million march, recently embarked on by OBIdients in Nasarawa State is very well appreciated by the OBIdient family. It’s a great step towards taking back our country.
Just like them, I deeply appreciate every Nigerian who has continued to labour in our country, for the good of the nation. I assure you that our labour will never be in vain.”
It will be recalled thousands of youths in Nasarawa State on Saturday, took to the streets to declare support for Peter Obi, ahead of the 2023 election.
Despite claims that the LP has no structure and it would be difficult for the former Governor of Anambra State to win the presidential election, many youths have continued to pledge support for him.
The walk tagged ‘One Million March’ for Peter Obi, was held in Nasarawa state.
Sets for another mega rally soon
The self-acclaimed Yoruba nation freedom fighter, Chief Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as ‘Sunday Igboho, has bemoaned the unabated killings and high level of insecurity in the country under the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, saying with the current situation, the country could not witness peace.
He, however, urged all Yoruba sons and daughters to think of having their own independent nation and reclaim their right, stating that Nigeria is not for the Yoruba.
Igboho, who spoke with Vanguard yesterday, through his spokesperson, Mr. Olayomi Koiki, against the backdrop of various unrest in the country, noted that he would continue to educate the people, especially the Yorubas about the union of 1914 amalgamation that was forced on 371 ethic groups in what’s call Nigeria today.
He said: “We don’t think anyone should talk about election with the insecurity in Yorubaland and the fake 1999 constitution. Yoruba should think of having our own independent nation and reclaim back our rights.
“We won’t force anyone that want election just as we did not during the osun and ekiti. But we would continue to educate our people about the union of 1914 amalgamation that was force on 371 ethic groups in what’s call Nigeria today.
“Chief remains in high spirit and he continue to want a peaceful exit of the Yoruba people from Nigeria. Whatever Chief Said is now happening in Yoruba land.
“With the situations of things Nigeria can’t have peace. Why? We don’t have union and unity because we are all different.”
“Having a Yoruba nation is priority and won’t take the right of other indigenous people that want to live on our land so far our constitution is respected.”
“And I want ti state again, Yoruba nation awareness campaign is coming soon again. We also looking forward to the next united nation General Assembly for the next protest”
“Five million petitions have been completed. Our campaign remains peaceful according to the United Nations rights of the indigenous people,” he explained.
Big Brother Naija’s housemate, Beauty, has been disqualified from the reality show.
Naija News reports that Big Brother announced her disqualification from the BBNaija show on Sunday evening just before the live eviction show.
She was sent packing after giving two strikes for breaching house rules.
The former Miss Nigeria was accused of removing her wig and glasses and subsequently throwing it at her love interest, Groovy, for dancing with another lady at their Saturday night party.
Big Brother also slammed Beauty for removing and throwing away her microphone.
This led to two strikes in addition to the one she was given last week for a fight with another housemate.
BBNaija: Beauty Ends Relationship With Groovy For Dancing With Chomzy
Beauty had on Saturday ended her relationship with Groovy for dancing with Chomzy during their party.
Beauty, during their Saturday night, had challenged Groovy for dancing with Chomzy, which eventually led to a serious argument in the house.
The party had in attendance housemates from the Level One and Level Two part of the reality show.
Beauty, during the argument, noted that she had earlier warned Groovy not to dance with Chomzy, but he is permitted to dance with every other girl.
The reality star, however, did not give a reason for warning Groovy not to dance with Chomzy.
There was a commotion at the Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture Umudike, MOUAU, Abia State over the weekend after a 500-level student of the institution took his own life.
The young man whose name is revealed as Modestus Hyacinth Egbulefu reportedly committed suicide after consuming a hard substance in the Ikwuano council area of the state.
The incident, Naija News learnt happened at about 9:40 am on Sunday morning at the students’ lodge.
Sources had told Vanguard that Egbulefu who is a student of the Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering, climbed and jumped off from the 3-storey building identified as Groom Base Lodge after allegedly taking the hard drug suspected to be ‘Mkpulu mmiri.’
The disturbing incident was said to have left other students in shock as their effort to revive their fellow fell to nought.
Naija News learnt that the student died on the spot before he could receive medical attention. Reports said that his corpse has since been deposited at an undisclosed mortuary in the area.
The Nigeria Police Command in the state is yet to make any official comment on the incident, and efforts to get the reaction of the Police Public Relations Officer for Abia State Command, SP Geoffrey Ogbonna, also proved abortive, Vanguard said.
Nigeria’s Tobi Amusan has won the gold medal in the women’s 100m hurdles at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, United Kingdom.
The world champion successfully defended her title at the Alexander Stadium on Sunday in the women’s 100m hurdles final.
Amusan was able to run a Games record of 12.30s, setting other records as well, and becoming the first world champion to win gold and the first Nigerian athlete to do the same.
Amusan was one of the favourites to get the gold at the tournament following her impressive showing at the World Athletics Championships in Oregon, the United States, which saw her break multiple records to win Nigeria’s first gold at the World Championships.
Having done it on another continent, Amusan made sure to replicate that fine display in Europe, proving that it was no fluke and that it was indeed her time.
The 25-year-old ran a blistering 12.30secs to claim the gold and also set a new Games Record in Birmingham.
“Honestly, I believe in my abilities but I was not expecting a world record at these championships.
“The goal is always just to execute well and get the win. So the world record is a bonus. I knew I had it in me but I could not believe it when I saw it on the screen after the semis.
“Before the final, I just tried to stay calm and to do my best. I took a deep breath knowing that I have some goals to accomplish and it worked pretty well. I knew it was very fast but not this fast,” Amusan said after her final victory.
Coming up behind here were Bahamas’s Devynne Charlton (12.58secs) who took silver and England’s Cindy Sember (12.59secs) who took bronze with both some notable distance behind the eventual winner.
With this result, Nigeria has now won 10 gold medals and 31 medals in total.
Team Nigeria are now just one behind the gold medal record set by the 1994 team (11 gold medals) at the Commonwealth Games and six behind the total medals record (37 medals).
With seven competitions still holding potential for gold for the team on the final day and World Athletics Championship silver medallist Ese Brume still in competition later today, Nigeria can and will hope for more.
Lagos socialite Cubana ChiefPriest has come out to reveal how he was attacked by unknown gunmen in an undisclosed location.
In a video that has gone viral, Cubana ChiefPriest showed off his car with bullet scratches and holes in his car which it sustained when unknown gunmen attacked his car.
In the viral video, Cubana ChiefPriest showed off his car and how it looked after the attack. Watch the video below;
However, the celebrity barman who’s yet to disclose the location he was attacked, berated an online blog for saying it happened in Imo state, stating that the incident never happened in Imo state.
He’s however, yet to disclose the location.