Controversial Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, was on Friday, suspended by President Bola Tinubu.
Following his suspension, Emefiele has been directed to hand over the affairs of the CBN to the Deputy Governor (Operations Directorate), Mr Folashodun Adebisi Shonubi, who will act as the apex bank Governor.
Here are nine things you should know about Shonubi:
- Shonubi holds double Master’s Degrees in Business Administration and Mechanical Engineering from the University of Lagos.
- He is a resourceful Information Technology-driven banker with over 22 years professional experience.
- He was Executive Director, Information Technology, and Operations at Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, a member of the Board of Union Homes.
- He was the Managing Director/CEO in the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc (NIBSS) from 2012 – 2018.
- Between 1999 and 2007, he worked in MBC International as Deputy General Manager and supervised their IT operational platforms.
- He was a one-time Director, Information Technology and Corporate Services in Renaissance Securities Nigeria limited.
- He also had a stint with Citibank Nigeria Limited as its Head, Treasury Operations (1990-1993).
- He served in First City Monument Bank Limited (FCMB) as Vice President and in Ecobank Nigeria Limited as Executive Director.
- He has served on a number of sub-committees of the Bankers’ Committee, including the Ethics and Professionalism Sub-Committee.