Displaying items by tag: FG

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has instituted a legal action against President Muhammadu Buhari over his refusal to investigate N1.48 trillion spent on refineries.

The N1.48 trillion was reportedly spent on four refineries between 2015 and 2020.

SERAP said despite the humongous amount claimed to have been amount spent on the refineries they are still moribund, alleging that the money earmarked for their rehabilitation and maintenance may have been pilfered.

According to body, the present government under Buhari reportedly spent N10.23 billion in June 2020 on three refineries that processed no crude oil.

Also, in 2021, the Buhari government approved $1.5 billion (almost N600 billion) to repair the Port Harcourt refinery. Despite the spending, the refineries are still not working, while fuel scarcity persists.

In the suit number FHC/L/CS/806/2022 filed at the Federal High Court, Lagos, last week, SERAP is seeking “an order of mandamus to direct and compel President Buhari to investigate the spending on Nigeria’s refineries, and alleged mismanagement of public funds budgeted for maintaining the refineries since 1999.”

The organization is also seeking “an order of mandamus to compel President Buhari to ensure the prosecution of anyone suspected to be responsible for the importation and distribution of dirty fuel into Nigeria, and to identify and ensure access to justice and effective remedies to affected victims.”

It argued that, “It is in the public interest to ensure justice and accountability for alleged corruption and mismanagement in the oil sector, which has resulted in the importation and distribution of dirty fuel and protracted fuel scarcity in the country.”

It said that the “Nigerian Constitution 1999 [as amended], and international standards impose clear obligations on the Buhari administration to take effective accountability measures to weed out, expose, and punish allegations of corruption in the oil sector, and to ensure effective remedies for victims.”

 

SERAP is arguing that “alleged corruption and mismanagement in the oil sector and the importation and distribution of dirty fuel have continued to deprive Nigerians of economic opportunities, subjecting them to cruel and degrading treatment.”

SERAP is also seeking “an order of mandamus to direct and compel President Buhari to instruct appropriate anti-corruption agencies to jointly track and monitor the spending of public funds to rehabilitate, operate, and maintain Nigeria’s refineries.”

The suit was filed on behalf of SERAP by its lawyers, Kolawole Oluwadare and Ms Adelanke Aremo.

Joined in the suit as respondent is Abubakar Malami, SAN, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

However, no date has been fixed for the hearing of the suit.

[DAILYPOST]

Tagged under

The Federal Government has stopped students in Senior Secondary School one and two from participating in external West African Senior School Certificate Examination, WASSCE; the National Examination Council, NECO; and National Business and Technical Examinations Board, NABTEB.

The development was contained in a circular issued to principals of federal unity schools by the Federal Ministry of Education.

The circular was signed by the ministry’s Director, Senior Secondary Education, Hajia Binta Abdulkadir, and confirmed by the Director of Press and Public Relations, Ben Bem Goong, on Friday.

The circular read, “The ministry’s attention has been drawn to the flagrant disregard to its directive on (the) writing of external examinations such as NABTEB (NTC and NBC), WASSCE, NECO (SSCE) by SS1 and SS2 students.

“Students who are involved in the practice find it difficult to settle down on serious studies. They become unruly and distract other students from achieving their goals.

“Any student caught to have written any of the above examinations in SS1 or SS2 classes will be expelled from the college. All students must write these examinations after they have been duly registered for the examination by the college.

“All students of Federal Unity College should adhere strictly to the content of this circular. And Principals are advised to bring the content of this circular to the knowledge of all parents of the college.”

[NewsDirect]

Tagged under

The Public Communication and business strategy consultant, Dr Okechukwu Ikechukwu has said that the disposition of the National Assembly will open a new vista of controversies that will call things up between now and 2023.

Dr Okechukwu said this on Saturday, as a guest on CityTalks with Reuben Abati.

Recall ahead of the 2019 general election the President refuse to assent to the electoral act amendment bill three times.

On the 16th of July, Day 2 of the big issue about the electoral act amendment bill, Minority Leader, Ndudi Elumelu, led the PDP caucus out of the chamber on Thursday afternoon.

Elumelu raised an objection on the decision to consider clause 52 alongside other clauses despite the fact that a decision had not be arrived at.

He argued that the opposition lawmakers would not sit and watch as their concerns were being ignored.

Dr Okey reacting to the melodrama characterized around the electoral amendment bill, described it as power-politics.

According to him, he listed three perspectives to it. Namely:

  1. The reputation of the National Assembly
  2. The electoral act as part of the crisis of the political leadership
  3. The decision of the National Assembly and the impact.

He said, “The Primary issue on the table is that if anybody at any point was in doubt whether the Representatives are actually representing Nigerians, the conduct of the Senators cleared that doubt.

“Did the Senators consult their constituents, in order words, those who sent them to National Assembly, and can they therefore be said that they are saying what the people who sent them to say? The answer is no.

“The processes leading up to that decision, did it and does it suggest that there was some backroom scheming going on? The answer is yes.”

Dr Okechukwu opines that the disposition of the lawmakers on the electoral act amendment bill discredits the leadership of the National Assembly and also reveals that the lawmakers are primarily committed to whatever agreements they make in Abuja pertaining their political survival rather than the Nigerian States.

When fielded questions about the logic behind the vote by those who voted for or against, he said, “I believe that this decision of the National Assembly has only thrown open a new vista of perception and controversies that are likely to call a lot of things between now and 2023. Both for the ruling party and the political elite generally.

“The outcome of that voting, that decision of that bill is not attributed to any particular party it, cut across party lines.

“It tells you that there are some interests other than national interest, other than electoral purity, other than national service that is behind the content and form of the bill they passed.”

Dr okechukwu said that he shares the same view with persons saying that within the purview of section 78 of the 1999 constitution that what the national assembly is proposing is unconstitutional and illegal.

 

 

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu stated that power-grabbers should wait for two more years to take over power in 2023 through the ballot boxes.

Shehu, spoke on Channels Television’s ‘Sunrise Daily’ programme said that the growing disaffection, dissatisfaction and insecurity in the country had made some persons declare their support for Yoruba Nation and Biafra Republic.

 

Shehu described these agitators as “charlatans” sponsored to bully the President thinking he will cringe or dreaded.

He declared that the Buhari regime will not be kicked out of power by any group through blackmail.

Shehu urged people with “strong ambitions” to wait for another two years to contest in the 2023 presidential election.

He said, “I want to assure Nigerians that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is addressing multiple challenges that are facing the country especially in dealing with security and yet we are still making progress in agriculture, economy, anti-corruption, which are the key policies that brought the party and the government to office.

“It is sad for the country that opposition is exploiting some of these things. It is quite unfortunate and I want to assure that the president remains focused in preserving the security and unity of this country.

 “It is an established fact that all nations of the world face problems and what is expected of all well-meaning members of the society is that they should team up with the government so that together we will all fight criminality and insurgency and all that.

“We accept that dissent is allowed, this is a democracy and people have a right to tell truth to government but we must be careful in doing that. Nobody can bring down the government because this is a government elected democratically.

“Government in a democracy come through periodic elections and if we have a government in office as we have, sponsored by political parties to win the elections, it is telling you that that confidence of the public is still there.

“People with strong ambitions, wait till four years, in fact, in our case, two more years to go to election and President Buhari will not be a candidate in that election.”

Spokesman for the Northern Elders Forum, Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, who also spoke on the programme, however, said nobody was interested in bringing down the Buhari government.

He chastised the Presidency for labeling critics of the Buhari regime as enemies and accusing them of trying to bring down the government.

Baba-Ahmed said Nigerians want to live in a safe and secure country and the President must protect the lives and properties of the citizens, adding that Buhari must listen to the grievances of secessionists.

Tagged under

Police arraigned Alaba Abasi, a 34-year-old businessman, who allegedly defrauded his business associates of N28.8 million.

He appeared in Court on Friday in Magistrates’ Court in Igbosere, Lagos and was charged with a two counts of fraud and theft.

According to the Prosecution Counsel, Sgt. Cyriacus Osuji, he said that the defendant committed the offense between January 22 and March 25, 2020, in Lagos.

Osuji alleged that the defendant obtained N15.1 million from Mr. Akeem Oyedele, N7.5 million from Mrs Nkechi Adekola, and N6.2 million from Mr Olayemi Olanrewaju as an investment in a business, but did not do the business he obtained the money for and did not refund the money to the complainants.

He told the court that the offense contravened the provisions of section 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The defendant pleaded not guilty. The Counsel to the defendant, A.O. Adebayo, prayed the court to grant the defendant bail in the most liberal terms.

The Magistrate M.O Erinle assent to the bail in the sum of N3 million with two sureties in like sum.

Erinle said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and must show evidence of tax payment in Lagos State Government.

She adjourned the case until September 17, 2020.

Tagged under